Tuesday 18 December 2018

Itchy scalp – Natural remedies & other tips

Not long after I moved to Australia my scalp started to itch ... a lot! I thought at first that I might not have been so good with washing off the schampoo so I started to be more thorough when washing my hair. But ... the problem did not go away.

I tried new products with less chemicals in them and also tried to pour olive oil and coconut oil all over my head. Did not work ... 

So after a lot of researching and asking around I finally tried one more thing ... apple cider vinegar. I mixed apple cider vinegar with water in a glass and took it with me when it was time to shower. I washed my hair with schampoo and then conditioned the lengths of my hair. While the conditioner were (hopefully) making my ends nice and smooth I poured the apple cider vinegar mix on my scalp the best I could. I waited for about 5-10 minutes and then I washed it off – I didn't wash my roots for too long though, just enough to wash off most of the apple cider vinegar. 

Then I dried my hair and waited ... and I noticed it did not itch as much. I repeated this shower ritual and after a week I could feel a huge difference. IT WORKED. 

 WHY DID MY SCALP ITCH SO MUCH? 

❥ pH levels not balanced?
❥ Too many bad chemicals?
❥ Is the water in Australia not filtered enough?
❥ Am I using too many products after my showers?
❥ Do I have an infection?
❥ Am I allergic to something?
❥ Is it my bed sheets?

Honestly, I can't say for sure what the reason were for my scalp itching as bad as it did but obviously the skin was dry. The apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. 

IMPORTANT: And from what I have read ... the best result will be with the apple cider vinegar that contains "mother", it's supposedly a pulp substance and that's where all the good vitamins and minerals are hidden.




 MY RECOMMENDATIONS 

Remember, I'm not an expert, but this worked for me so I thought I should share it. If you choose to try it on your scalp and hair, please do it at your own risk. I know I'm not inventing the wheel here, I'm sure many of these tips can be read on other pages, blogs and such – and now here on my blog as well.

❥ Please, try not to scratch.
❥ Drink a lot of water daily.
❥ Try another schampoo and preferably as natural and chemical free as possible. 
❥ Avoid too many products close to your scalp. 
❥ Avoid using a hat, wig or a scarf too much if you can. Let the scalp breath.
❥ Brush your hair so the natural oils can spread.
❥ Meditation. Stress and anxiety affects the body and can make your scalp itch.
❥ Make and use natural hair masks once a week.
❥ Try a scalp scrub made with salt, sugar and coconut oil.
❥ Do not wash your hair everyday.
❥ Finish your shower with pouring cold water over you hair, hot water can be damaging.
❥ Apple cider vinegar mixed with water over you scalp after using the schampoo.
Read about it somewhere, not tested it myself yet: Two-three tbsp of baking soda mixed with water makes a good paste to spread on your scalp. Leave it in for 5-10 minutes before you rinse your hair = a natural schampoo that helps balancing those pH levels.

Everything starts from within, make sure to eat healthy and less of the not so healthy stuff – with other words, try to avoid eating too much meat, fried food, candy ... and drinking drinks that have sugar and/or alkohol in it.

BUT ... If nothing of this works I recommend you to go and see an expert/doctor. It's not good having an itchy scalp for too long, it could be a sign that your body is lacking some important vitamin or mineral. Also ... it could lead to baldness/thinner hair.

Good luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment